Wednesday 18 December 2013

Leprosy Colonies, Tamil Nadu

Venkatapuram Leprosy Colony                                                             17 December 2013

Meet T. Raman
 
 
Think of an 80 year old man, any 80 year old man. Do you picture a man sitting in a recliner in front of a television set? Or a man sitting in a rocking chair on his front porch enjoying the warm summer's breeze holding hands with the love of his life? Do you picture a man with soft eyes, whose smile would inform one that he is happy, proud of his family, and content with the experiences life blessed him with?  When I picture an 80 year old man, I picture these things.  I picture a man who respected and taken care of by many loved ones. Today I beheld an 80 year old man.  This man did not fit my ideal description of an 80 year old man. 
 
Before me sat an 80 year old man.  T. Raman was diagnosed with leprosy at a time in his life most look forward to with hope, brightness, and the anticipation of endless possibilities ahead of them.  T. Raman's 20th year of his life was not full of such hope.  After his diagnosis, T. Raman became a shut in in his family's home due to the imminent discrimination he would receive from his surrounding community.  He would only come out of his home to receive his herbal treatment and later to attend a treatment program offered through the government called the Central Leprosy Treatment and Research Institute.  At age 30, T. Raman had an arranged marriage.  He was married to a woman who was not affected by leprosy.  He spoke of her with the utmost respect as he shared with Bala and I what a kind, caring, magnificent woman she was.  They had no children and she passed away 2 years ago.  My heart ached for this man whose face was the face of a strong man trapped in an aging, aching body stricken with the effects of leprosy. His eyes no doubt the feature which gave this secret away - they had a resilient, enduring gaze about them which peered directly into a soul full of so much strength and wisdom contrary to the hopeless, helpless state at which he appeared to be in. 

T. Raman's greatest wish was to replace his walker with crutches to enable him to be more agile and be able to travel on the bus to the cities where he can beg for money or food to support himself. All he wants is to receive the necessary nutrition and medical needs in order for him to live out the remainder of his days peacefully.  This was clear in his expression, "I'm waiting for my death."  What person doesn't wish to leave this earth via the route which contains the least amount of suffering?  As this man slowly, ever slowly away with the help of his walker my thoughts turned to my aging grandmother at home.  My mother has selflessly gone above and beyond to make sure she is taken care of every hour of the day, my mom is amazing and she tirelessly worries about my grandmother.  Who is T. Raman's amazing caretaker?  Is there anyone who worries about him?

T. Raman, I wish you peace and happiness in your final days.  I pray your suffering and sorrow will subside and you will truly be happy, content 80 year old man.  Merry Christmas and all the best to your New Year.

Thank you for sharing your story with me T. Raman,

Kaylee Coates

No comments:

Post a Comment