Tuesday 17 December 2013

Barriers Trumped

Foreign.
To put it simply, that's India's first impression to me.  Every scene before me each day is something new to my eyes.  There are, however, two universal scenes and expressions that make me feel not so much a foreigner however small the moment may be.  A smile.  I'm no longer at the mercy of a language barrier whenever I exchange a smile.  I know what a smile means and I realize why smiling is an inspirational essential in the lives of all. The second universal scene that lessons my foreign status, playing with children.  I understand play and so do children.  Though language barriers still exist during play, it eventually becomes lost in the spirit of play.  Today I played with a child in a leprosy colony.  I was told that Neesha turns 2 this Monday.  She sat on my lap and we simply sat and giggled for who knows how long.  I would tickle her and tease her until her melodic giggle transformed into a full-out burn of belly laughter.  All the while she was rambling phrases of Tamil, which become meaningless to both of us because they are not a necessity in order to play.  This realization that play is universal did not quite resonate with me until I watched Neesha and Velu's interaction.  Velu, a Rising Star Outreach driver sat at the mobile medical clinic file pickup table and I watched as Neesha and him exchanged pokes and playful laughter, the kind of scene that would make these two appear to have known each other much longer than the moment.



I'm a Foreigner. I find myself outside of every conversation, inside everyone's questioning gaze, and confused on a daily basis no matter what the task.  I never quite understood the barriers that come with being culturally different but I now have a greater appreciation for all foreigners near and far.  Despite these challenges, I love it here. I love India.  I respect and appreciate their culture with the utmost reverence.  But most of all I love the people of Tamil Nadu, India!!  May I be as continuously open, patient, and understanding with the people here as they have so magnificently exemplified for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment