Friday 3 January 2014

Because I Can

University Stadium
I had the incredible chance to attend a track meet in India during the first couple days I arrived here.  As soon as I heard that Rising Star's students were headed to a District track meet (Region track meet), I quickly weaseled my way into that trip.  The students here had a track meet weeks previous which determined whether they could continue further and compete in the District track meet.  At the District track meet, they must place 1st or 2nd in their event in order to continue on to the Division track meet.  So something like pre-region, region, and state track standards in the U.S.

Rising Star Outreach had ten students make it to the District track meet we attended.  This was an experience!!!!  One that humbled, inspired, and instilled in me a belated sense of gratitude. These ten kids from Rising Star crave coaching and instruction.  -Something that flowed freely during my upbringing in life as well as in sports. They want to become better in their sport but are competing off of pure talent.  The only time these students have practiced for this moment in competition has been during their PE class. The lack for scheduled time to practice sports and the even bigger lack of coaching and organized sports activities are all factors working against these children.

I sat in a stadium of a track meet looking out at the field.  This track is all dirt.  It's hot. Athletes run with track shoes if they have them.  Many run bare foot. My eyes in this stadium still behold my beloved sport before, however these incredible differences can't go unnoticed.

This last 2013 Fall season I had the opportunity to help coach my alumni high school's cross country team.  Many coaches hear the things I heard as a coach, "Why do we have to run X miles?", "Why would anyone want to run if they didn't have to?", and the infamous, "Do we have to run today?"

To all my runners back home, especially all athletes at North Sevier High School, learn from my new friends here in India.  Make the best experience with what you have.  Make the best with the circumstances given to you. No use focusing on what's not there.  Be grateful for whatever opportunities and experiences you are lucky enough to have access to and TAKE ADVANTAGE.

The countless lessons I've learned via running have taught me more about life than anything I've ever read or ever been told. Running taught me to stop asking how much do I have to do? and start asking how much can I do?   Do things simply because you can. Accomplish things because you've been given the talent and opportunity to.  Something India teaches me every day above all is to do your best with what you have. Doing your best at something should never be situational it should be a consistent effort and endeavor.



 cows roam everywhere in India, even at track meets




 A few of our Rising Star Track Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment